Thursday, April 25, 2013

Cleaning Lists & Such

Disclaimer: This post may not apply to everyone, but I hope it proves helpful to those who are in the same position as me. 

I will admit it: I LOVE a clean house. I love cleaning my house. I love seeing things converted from disorderly & chaotic to clean & organized. That being said, I have been struggling with the feeling of needing to thoroughly clean my whole house every single day, and feeling unorganized and discouraged at the end of everyday when it isn't done because it is CLEARLY an unrealistic goal. 

I was trying to think of a way to effectively streamline cleaning my house with two very young chillens running around & needing me at random times throughout the day. Obviously anything that gets done is undone in a matter of five minutes (or even less, if we are being truly realistic). I have come up with a weekly list of making sure I thoroughly tackle each room at least once a week. 

The strategy

1) Write down things that need to be done on a daily basis & also a weekly basis. 
(Since we live in a small apartment, I don't have things that need to be done monthly, but I am sure I will when we move into a house.)

2) Write down the days of the week. 

3) REALISTICALLY (according to your family's schedule & needs) put down specific chores to be done each day of the week, so that your whole house is cleaned every week - just maybe not all at the same time! ;)

Now, I just did my list two days ago, so I haven't completed a whole week yet. It may be a complete failure. We shall see. But if this helps anyone in the slightest, I will feel accomplished (even if I don't feel accomplished in cleaning my house - ha). 

Here's my list as an example

Daily tasks: 

  • Make Beds
  • Tidy
  • Dishes
  • Vacuum high-traffic areas
  • Fill Humidifiers
Weekly tasks: 

Monday: 
  • Laundry Day
  • Change sheets on all beds
  • Clean bathrooms (toilet in/out, floor, counter, mirror)
  • Clean kitchen/foyer floor
  • Disinfect kitchen countertop/dining room table
  • Deep clean/organize* kitchen & living room & living room closets
Tuesday: 
  • Dust living room
  • Dust bedrooms
  • Sort mail/pay bills/file
  • Gather all trash & carry to dumpster
  • Deep clean/organize* bedroom & closet
Wednesday: 
  • Baths/Pamper day (trimming nails, hair cuts, etc.)
  • Deep clean/organize* boys' room & closet
Thursday: 
  • Laundry Day
  • Bathe Dallas
  • Clean bathtub
  • Clean bathroom surfaces
  • Deep clean/organize* bathrooms & linen closet
Friday: 
  • Cleaning catch-up day
  • Grocery/Errands Day
Saturday: 
  • Baths 
  • Prepare for church
Sunday: 
  • Rest :)

*Deep clean/organize means moving furniture to fully vacuum, making sure everything is organized in its place & also purging at least one thing from the room/closet

(Disclaimer #43: We bathe more than twice a week but the baths written are set in stone to prepare for church - more of a "deep clean" if you will!)

No comments:

Post a Comment